Lumberton, N.C. We sold our Phoenix home, and moved into this 3bd/1ba/1500 sq. ft. house. It’s been 6 months, and the last projects are underway!
This photo was taken in early April. The Dogwood Tree in the foreground had not put forth it’s flowers. The hedge across the front are hot pink Azaleas. We missed their flowering season as well, during the two months we were in Arizona preparing to move. Not seen are a massive, 40 ft. tall Magnolia Tree by the sidewalk, a Hot Pink Crepe Myrtle on the right of the driveway, and a forest of various tall trees amongst the backs of the homes.
Next photo, back of house with small screen porch. You are now looking at the addition; a great room, plus expanded laundry and screen porch. The next photo shows the side of the addition, where the fireplace has been added.We refaced the fireplace with quartz , installed carpeting, and tiled a little less than half the great-room floor for a dining area. New drapes, tile in the laundry, kitchen and bath, as well as a section of the hallway.
Before we cleaned the exterior walls, there was moss growing on the siding.
This is common in the humidity here. It cleaned up easily with a broom and Simple Green.
Back of house, this area was added on 22 years ago. The house has vinyl siding .
The addition is the area on both sides of the fireplace, and extends across the entire back of house.
The Great-Room measures 20 x 23 feet.
|Tile going in for dining area. Notice the angled corners. We wanted to avoid the window area.
The kitchen cabinets in the corner were for the kitchen, as several cabinets were needed to complete the previous owner’s renovation.
Here’s our new Dining Room!
In addition to carpet, tile, and drapes;
I painted the walls in a medium-soft green called
” Windmill” By BEHR Color Code S350-2u
The trim throughout the house is
“Queen Anne’s Lace” by Olympic
Color Code OL653.1 (card#B14)
NOTE: I tried 6 shades of green before choosing the Windmill. I had several items to pull together, all with different greens.
In the small front living room, I used this color on all four walls. The way the color changed throughout the day caused most of the greens I tested to appear very drab. I liked this shade so much, that it ended up on three walls of the great-room too! The main wall of which has several paintings; so I kept it in a neutral off-white.
The hanging lamp was a family piece, and I love the amber and cream shades when the light is on.
We used a plant hanger extending from the beam to center the lamp over the table.
The original fixture was a horrible pendant light that placed a bare light bulb right in your face, and to center the table under the beam would place the table too far towards the center of the room.
Our placement of the line dividing the carpet and tile was carefully planned for the benefit of who-ever found themselves sitting on that side of the table. I wanted to be sure a person had comfortable space when pushing back their chair, so as not to drift off the tile.
In regards to this carpet-tile division: The finishing detail will be a Bull-nosed oak trim, as the tile is slightly too high for the carpet. The reason for this is in the under-laying cement board. ( A vital step of installing tile over the soft sub-floor)
BELOW The fireplace across the side wall of the Great-Room, and the dining area is behind me. Do you see the original fireplace? The shelf was installed between planks of paneling, turned in opposing directions. The fire screen was bent and rusty; the opening of the fireplace was missing the finish tile. We had no grate for the firewood.
Jim ordered replacements for these on-line and sprayed the inside firebox with matte black paint.
Of course, since we had as yet no garage, our furniture was still a jumble being moved about as needed.
(Those orange rolls were intended as the kitchen sub-floor, but we returned them in favor of 1/4″ thick Durock cement board. Since there was old flooring glue on the kitchen floor, this proved to be the best choice to keep tile from popping off)
Meanwhile, back to the fireplace; as it was one of our favorite projects!
Below Showing the Desert Quartz for the mantle, combined with our favorite brick veneer for the hearth. ( We have not resurfaced the hearth yet- That project was set aside to work on the kitchen and remaining wood floors.)
|Durock cement board is getting skimmed with Thin-Set. It is a white poly-blend mortar .
|The granite is going up! Jim has a temporary board nailed in place over the fire box . This supports the granite tiles. He also used thin nails to hold each tile in place until mortar was set.
He is almost to the ceiling! The next part of the job will require the tile saw. So far Jim has used only full pieces of the tiles.
Here is our new fireplace! Since we have not completed the hearth, There is still one more photo to come, down the road a little bit!
Here’s the approximate cost of this project: Materials Only
1/2″ thick Durock cement board: $150.00
Thin-Set Mortar: 30.00
Desert Quartz (random size mix) 270.00
Brick Veneer 125.00
TOTAL: DIY Project $575.00
IF LABOR WAS CHARGED: +$1500.00
I will continue to add photos and updates as we progress. Please follow my blog if you wish to make comments. Thanks! Karen